Sunday, May 13, 2007

Scared for the future? Read this...

Here's the feature I found for this week.

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/2007/05/gone.html

Its from Mother Jones, a news magazine that I read and really enjoy because they give the time and space to issue that matter to me. I can't say its without fault; moments in the piece do drag some. But if we are going for messy and complicated, this is certainly the topic for that. The piece exposes many scientist's views that we are on the verge of another mass extinction, one that could ultimately rub out humans as well.

I really liked the opening of this piece and the way that the dead hiker is brought up again later as a reminder of the human implications of mass extinctions. I kind of wish, however, that the author had removed herself from the writing process, or involved herself more. I truly believe that space could have been made in the piece for heightened emotion and complication. We do not get a great sense of how the author reacts to the stunning statistics she is learning. I would have appreciated more of the human element. I liked seeing the scientists, like Levin. I liked feeling for the animals. Sometimes, the writing "talked" to much; it was too technical.

I was impressed, though with Whitty's craft in some areas. Particularly, I liked her propensity for listing. Nerdy, I know, but I often deploy lists in my own writing and I thought she used them to good effect. Also, pay attention to the way she moves in and out, pans and zooms that camera lens--I really liked that.

Lastly, I wanted to bring up an issue of format. I first read this piece in the print form of the magazine. It had really engaging visuals attached as well as pull out pieces of information that kept me more interested. The online version lost a little of that for me, which I think is a shame.

Overall, I posted this piece because of its complexity of subject matter. I admire a writer who can handle that type of immersion, the multitudes of sources, the grandiosity of topic. Its kind of what I want to do someday.

5 comments:

Kat Baskin said...

This piece was definitely a good choice. I enjoyed the author’s use of listing too! I really felt the impact of the words when written so simply. The simplicity stuck out amid the complexity of the topic and other sentences. The impact was followed by a certain emotion, which served to guide my interest and attatchment to the topic of this piece.

Here are examples that stuck out to me:

“The air we breathe. The food we eat.”

“The proverbial cure for cancer. The genetic fountain of youth. Immortality. Mortality”

I have to go to class. I’ll write more after…I have much more to say about this piece.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kat. She's always so right on.

Kat Baskin said...

Just Kidding...that was actually me. I posted that comment. where is everyone? I don't want to just talk to myself...I do that too much as it is.

What I really like about this piece is the theme of interconnectedness. I believe that our generation will have to take on these pressing environmental issues. If we don't, we will become extinct. Interconnectedness is where it's at!
Just look at what we're doing. The internet. WOW!

Kat Baskin said...

Interconnectedness assumes there is oneness in all things.
This is such a cool idea! Don’t journalists assume the same? This is what makes complexity and chaos comprehendible.

If you’re turned off by the science/math/physics of it, then look at complex systems studies as the bridge between the sciences and arts. This includes sociology, psychology, economics, history, art, etc.

On pg. 5 the author talks about the monarch butterfly’s connecting role:

First she shows what they are:
“Scattered among them are the strong, slow fliers with black-veined orange wings. These monarch butterflies..”


Love it! Then she explains their role:
“The monarchs connect these places to each other—changing the locations they visit, being changed by them.”

That’s so beautiful! Speaking of butterflies…ever heard of the butterfly effect? The flap of a butterfly’s wings in Peru creates changes in the atmosphere that ultimately cause a hurricane in Australia. This is interconnectedness!

The author touches on this concept throughout the piece, especially in the following line:

“If one phase of a biological phenomenon is disrupted, the consequences are likely to ripple farther and wider than a local species extinction.”

I like the ripple image. Again, I love the idea!

This piece was long…maybe too long. I’ve been conditioned to receive and interpret information quickly in this fast paced world we live in. Consequently, I expect journalists to deliver stories quickly, but maybe I shouldn’t. Slowing down to take the time to read an article this length is so nice...when you can do it. Reading an article this length takes time and energy, and having lots of those things is a luxury. How long is too long? I think length depends on audience… how about ya’ll?
By the way…sorry this was so long.
I live a luxurious life.

Anonymous said...

Great work.