Thursday, May 10, 2007

Reportage, reportage, reportage

If the slogan for real estate is "Location, Location, Location," I think that the similiar one for journalism would be "Reportage, reportage, reportage." I have been finding in my short journalism career just how important this step of the process actually is the outcome of the piece. For one thing, I love doing it. I could hang out with people all day and I think I have a natural curiousity for things that leads me to keep asking questions, to dig a little deeper, to see what I can find out. But I do enjoy just kicking around too, be a fly on the wall, observing. I know that I could get better at it. For example, I did some reportage for my prom piece last Friday. I went over to one of my source's grandmother's house where he and his buddies were putting up a tent. The entire group going to prom would eat under the tent the next day and I thought it was rather comical to see the boys pitch this giant cumbersome thing after it had already gone dark. It was neat to talk to them as they worked and I believe it helped them relax. But even still, when I looked back at my notebook, I realized I hadn't written down many of my own sensory observations. I didn't have enough dialogue of the boys amongst themselves. I hadn't caught the one dude's nickname. I want to get better at things like that.

I know that I have improved in some elements. I am better now at determining when I have enough information. Though I generally want more than enough, to have to sift through pages and pages rather than feel lost without something, I also understand that I am on deadline and I am only paid so much. I am now able to determine who else I need to talk to, what other information is missing to round out my story. Know I have that skill is rather gratifying.

Overall, though I just love reporting! Sometimes I wish I could just do that element and then hand my notes to someone else and have them write. I guess that's because that part is such hard work! Reporting feels more like playing.

1 comment:

Lindsey M. Craig said...

Lauren- I personally think it is so cool you have the confidence to even approach these boys and then spend time with them and talk with them. I am not lacking in self-confidence but reportage for me seems to be such a problem (I haven't figured out why). I commend your ability to critique yourself and say you wish to go deeper, but realize that you already are a lot farther ahead than most people in this department. Can't wait to see the final prom piece!